Movie Review: Sigh...What could have been, oh well.
[For all my fellow Geeks and Nerds – I have a quick Geek Rant after the movie review if you are interested. It contains spoilers]
Here is a quick rundown
- This movie is one big mess. It’s like putting 6 Lego pieces and a bunch of rocks in a bowl and asking you to build a skyscraper.
- The visual effects, stage production and cinematography were crappy. I thought I was watching a Joel Schumacher
Batman movie during certain parts of the movie. There were a few nice shots but there were also many parts where the visual effects looked really cartoony and fake. It amazes me how a movie like Jurassic
Park and Fifth Element can put this movie to shame.
- The action scenes were not that great.
- The soundtrack was ok. It was creative on how he blended some of the most iconic themes from the past. But it was still a cheap move – I think it would have been better if he created something new.
I guess they wanted to get some nostalgia points for the fans. Like "The Force Awakens" – cheap nostalgia points so everyone can praise it.
- The screenplay was horrendous. There are a lot of plot holes and the dialogue was bad. They tried to have some emotional and funny scenes but it was just poorly executed. I could break down
the story better for you but what is the point. Trust me, it was bad.
- The acting was ok. I loved Gal Gadot; she was the best out of the cast. Too much over acting by Ezra Miller. Ben Affleck looks awful. I’m sorry; I didn’t see him as Batman at all.
All I saw was a man trying to act tough. The rest of the cast was solid.
I can go on and on about how bad this movie is but I think you get the idea. I cannot recommend this movie to everyone. Comic books fans and people who like to lose their
brains for awhile (Think Transformers) may enjoy this movie. It’s not every day all these iconic superheroes are on screen together and I get why they have to see it. Watching them in action together can bring
joy to some. The rest who are not involved with the comic book culture can wait for it on Redbox. It was a cheap money grab attempt by the executives in my opinion.
Quick Geek Rant
What I don’t understand is that the executives and production team wanted to be more like Marvel – they decided to make it more light hearted– so why didn’t they use any
team from the DC Animation branch to make this movie. For example, the Young Justice cartoon series is very fun and well written. It is obviously catered to the teenage crowd but it is
so good that it can actually be part of an adult swim animation hour. Let’s just say this, Warner Bro. executives screwed this up big time.
I always liked the pick of Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman. Many comic book Geeks wanted more of a body builder image of Wonder Woman. I thought Gal Gadot fit a Michael Turner version of Wonder
Woman and felt it was a great pick. She did a solid job.
This movie disrespects DC comic book fans. Zack Snyder and the writing team have no idea on how the characters should be portrayed. The DC animation teams absolutely know the characters and deserve more recognition.
Barry Allen was a big mess and it’s a shame because he is my favorite DC character. This was not Barry Allen. They tried so hard to have a comic relief element like a
Peter Parker – it just didn’t work for me. DC fans out there will know what I’m talking about.
Mother Boxes – seriously? – this was poorly done. This story line and execution is another insult to DC fans.
Batman/Bruce Wayne – shaking my head. He would never say and do certain things in this movie. He also looked silly to me. Affleck trying to flex made me laugh.
I might be over thinking this too much. I’m just disappointed in the direction of the D.C cinematic universe.
ReeYaa Grade = D+